Monday, May 21, 2012

Apple of My Eye Dress

I used 5 fabrics from the Apple of My Eye collection from Riley Blake to make my daughter this dress.

I used the Peasant Dress Pattern by Tie Dye Diva. It has different options on how to gather the neckline and sleeves. I choose to shir.

I made a size 6 for my daughter who is 5 but not so skinny. I had her try it on and the neckline is huge! I did steam the elastic thread to shrink it but hopefully it will shrink a little more if I put it in the drier. It is suppose to be for her to wear for her preschool graduation. If it doesn't shrink it is going to her older sister who is 7. I am sure it is a problem with my shirring rather than the pattern. I have made this before for my cousin and it fits her perfect.

Apple of My Eye fabrics can be found in my shop


  1. I always have the hardest time getting my shirring right. It comes out about 60% of the time, the other 40%... I don't even know what the deal is.
    Hope it fits someone, it's so cute!

  2. The elastic shrank a little more after I washed and dried it. So, I think she will be able to wear it.

  3. Hi Jennifer! I popped over here to enter your giveaway and saw that gorgeous dress from my pattern! :) Shirring should reduce your fabric by about half so just throwing out an example, the nearly 40" around a size 5 neckline should come down to about 19" shirred, the same as if you used elastic in a casing. There are some troubleshooting tips in the PDF pattern at the end but as Nicole pointed out it's unfortunately a lot of trial and error with how to wind the bobbin and tinker with machine settings. Glad it's wearable though, it's gorgeous!

  4. She is actually wearing it today. The elastic thread shrunk enough in the drier and it fits her now. But, I found out that she will be wearing a cap and gown at preschool graduation now. They originally told me no so I decided to make her a dress but they changed their mind. She did get complements on it today at the eye doctor.



The Bailey Girls Copyright © 2014 Designed by Katie Blogger Template Sponsored by My Little Monsters